If you are making a contribution to the lives of others — as a leader, a mentor, an employer, an educator, or a mental health or medical professional — and you are facing an ethical challenge in your relationships with colleagues or clients, I’d like to help you gain insight about what is going on. Together we can generate some ideas and a direction for how you want to proceed.
My area of ethics expertise is countertransference, the conscious impulses and unconscious motivations that can draw us into unethical behavior. As a consultant and your ally, I help you review your goals and intentions to find “right relationship” in your particular case.
Using the InnerEthics® model
We would begin by reviewing what you know about the relationship and the situation. We would invite your own non-judgmental self-compassion to our consultation, and from that place use the InnerEthics® approach to guide your self-inquiry and decision-making going forward. Our focus is to prevent ethical missteps and repair client relationships.
The InnerEthics® model evolved from my experience doing facilitating and training with people who were in profound, what I call “extra-ordinary” states of consciousness. I discovered that many of us are more vulnerable to ethical missteps when working with people in these states. We are often drawn, unaware, into the extra-ordinary state ourselves. When in that place, we are more vulnerable to actions based on our own semi-conscious or unconscious longings, desires, and fears.
I learned from the mistakes I made myself or watched others making. I found that preventing harm and creating greater benefit in our relationships is possible if we are willing to look at ourselves compassionately, share and learn from our missteps, and discover self-knowledge and skills that we can then apply to all our future relationships.
My first book about right relationship was published in 1995. My second ethics text “The Ethics of Caring: Finding Right Relationship with Clients” was published in 2017 and won the Nautilus Book Award in the category, “Relationships & Communication.”
I served on the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) Santa Cruz Board of Directors and Ethics Chairperson for two years.
Who can benefit
Mental Health Professionals – therapists, group facilitators, and counselors
Educators – teachers, professors, mentors and students
Medical and wellness professionals – doctors, nurses, hospice, supervisors, bodyworkers, hypnotherapists
Spiritual and Alternative Community leadership and members
New Paradigm Company managers and employees
Consultation topics & goals
The presence or absence of right relationship affects all professional results and determines whether there is to be benefit or harm from the relationship.
Here are some examples of ethical issues that can be addressed in a consultation.
- Integration of personal experiences in extra-ordinary states into life going forward
- An ethical issue that involves countertransference
- An ethical issue within a group or a community
- Right relationship in leadership, mentorship, and group facilitation
- An ethical issue involving a colleague
- Organizational issues of “ethical fading”, truth telling, and ethics codes
- Issues encountered by Facilitators of Holotropic Breathwork®
- Issues encountered by Facilitators of SoulCollage®
- Issues encountered by those working with clients in other extra-ordinary state of consciousness contexts
Prevent client harm by ethical misconduct.
- Learn when to do self-inquiry and/or get supervision
- Engage self-compassion
- Identify particular vulnerabilities to countertransference
- Understand how unconscious material arises for professionals working with clients in profound states of consciousness
Increase client benefit.
- Decrease fear of clients’ profound states
- Identify own needs, fears, desires, and longings
- Make time for self-care outside the client or student relationship
- Make choices that are in the best interests of the client
How to arrange a consultation
Note: I am currently doing only a limited amount of consulting due to my teaching schedule.
Options: Consultations are available via video conferencing.
Fee Payment Options: Cash, check, Zelle (to email@example.com), PayPal (to firstname.lastname@example.org), or credit card through PayPal.
Taylor, K. (July 3, 2021) – “InnerEthics® in Extra-Ordinary States of Consciousness. Neurodynamic Breathwork Training. Online.
Taylor, K. (April – June 2021). “Ethics and Care.” Psychedelic Psychotherapy Training. ONCA Foundation. Oncline.
Taylor, K. (October, 2017) “The Ethics of Caring.” Online Presentation. The Association for Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Health.
Taylor, K. (October, 2016) “A Conversation about Ethics.” APPPAH online education.
Taylor, K. and Vega, S. (September, 2016) “Ethics & SoulCollage® Facilitation.” Symposium: The Clinical Applications of SoulCollage® in Los Gatos, California. SoulCollage Inc.
Click here to see a complete list of Presentations & Courses.